Friday, June 1, 2007

Born Beauty

Chalk Magazine, September 2004

Bea Alonzo's beauty secrets include ice, honey, and an attitude every bit as gorgeous as she is

"I'm the wrong person to ask," Bea Alonzo exclaims emphatically when I tell her it's our beauty issue. She’ll have to confess all her kikay secrets. “You’ll be bored with my answers. I like it simple, effortless.” It didn’t take long for her to warm up to the topic though and before she knew it, she was owning up to two beauty indulgences: the salon pamper treatments and her quirky beauty tricks. Not that she needs to resort to so many of those tricks anyway. What makes Bea beautiful is the most obvious: her bright disposition, her warm, caring attitude, that sincerity about her that had her saying hello to random people who walked by our office to get a glimpse of her. If that old saying “Beauty is as beauty does” is true, then beauty is as Bea does indeed. – Nana Caragay

Q: How did you get started in showbiz?

A: Even as a kid, I used to act in front of my mirror I was a really active student in high school, joining plays, participating in beauty contest… My mom wasn’t so supportive of my joining pageants though. It was during this really small beauty contest that I was spotted by Oscar Peralta, the designer. From there, I started doing workshops, and I became part of Star Circle Batch 10. My mom eventually allowed me. After all, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime, and she didn’t want me to look back and have regrets.

Q: What were your early showbiz experiences?

A: I was in a show called “K2BU” with Shaina Magdayao, Angelene Aguilar, and Pia Romero. Kiddie-kiddie lang talaga. My first role in a soap was “Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay”. That was really a challenge-at first I played this nerdy 13-year-old, complete with braces and headgear. The headgear really hurt! Then I had to play the 20-year-old law student-and I was only 14 at the time! Sometimes during tapings, there would also be flashback scenes, so in the morning I would play this law student, and at night I had to put the headgear back on and be 13 again!

Q: How did you manage to pull that off? Do you see a little bit of yourself in each character?

A: Each character I play, it always seems to show some part of myself. There’s Cielo (her character in another top-rating soap, “It Might Be You”). She’s strong-and I have some of that in me, like when I want something, I really won’t stop until I get it. And then there’s Betsy (from her movie with John Lloyd Cruz, “Now That I Have You”), where I get to show my comic side.

Q: Tell us about making the movie.

A: Masaya! I wouldn’t mind even if it doesn’t earn money. It’s already a blessing for me. What I really gained from it was great friendships. I even miss the crew! After making that movie, I could say that Lloydy (that’s what she calls her loveteam partner, John Lloyd Cruz) and I became so much closer. He really liked the character I played-to this day, he still calls me Betsy!

Q: What does it feel like to be a part of one of the country’s hottest love teams?

A: (Blushes) We are? (laughs) I’m happy kasi masaya siyang kasama. He’s never taken advantage of our situation. We’re the same in that we don’t like pretensions. We didn’t give in to the pressure to act sweet toward each other even off-screen just because we were a love team.

Q: So what is your off-camera relationship like?

A: After making the movie, parang ngayon ko lang siya nakilala. Mas masaya. We formed a real friendship. Now we can joke around with each other during scenes where we have to act sweet. Before, talagang di kami nagpapansinan. I guess we were also conscious, because at that time, he still had a girlfriend. He didn’t want her to get jealous, I didn’t want to be accused of trying to steal him. W e wouldn’t even say we were friends, because for us, the term “friend” is just so precious. Until yesterday, we didn’t even have each other’s cellphone numbers!

Q: Is that true? But you do now?

A: It happened because of “Good Morning Kris”. He was supposed to receive a text message from me that he had to read on-air. I said, “How am I supposed to text him if I don’t have his cellphone number?” People were amazed! So because of that, they gave me his number. I told him, “I’m erasing this after the show!” (laughs) I do have his number now, but really… We see each other everyday, why would we need to text?

Q: What about real-life romance?

A: I believe in destiny. If he’s really the one for me, then we’ll end up together somehow. But I can say that he’s boyfriend material-responsible, faithful. I’m not allowed to date now, but I believe in old-fashioned courtship. The guy has to visit me at home… Ayoko ng nasa labas.

Q: Who do you think is beautiful?

A: Catherine Zeta Jones. I like her face. And Drew Barymore. Even if she’s medyo chubby, she still looks sexy. Frustration ko yon, kasi mataba ako. (laughs)

Q: What do you consider beautiful about yourself?

A: Physical… Lloydy likes my eyes, for Direk Lauren (Diyogi, who directed their movie), my legs. Personality, I’d say it’s my being patient.Q: Makeup or natural? A: Lloydy and my mom like me without makeup. But some people say I look better with makeup on. Personally, ayoko ng makeup. The best thing about playing a 13-year-old was that I didn’t have to wear any!

Q: What are your beauty secrets?

A: You know what works for me? I put ice on my face after removing my makeup. My skin’s sensitive and I get allergies, so it closes my pores before they put makeup on me. When my skin’s dry, I mix honey and milk, leave it on my face, then wash it off. I use Johnson’s face powder, Body Shop liquid blush, Carmex lip balm, and Shu Uemura eyelash curler.

Q: Plans for the future?

A: I don’t see myself in this business forever. Eventually I want to finish my studies, have a family… Maybe just do one movie a year.

Q: What’s your dream role?

A: To play either a serial killer… or the Virgin Mary!