Sunday, January 6, 2008

Clearly Real

CHALK Magazine, October 2007 Issue
by: Wanggo Gallaga

One might forget that these veteran stars on screen are still young- John Lloyd, 24, has bee in the industry for the past years, while Bea Alonzo, 20, has been in the industry for 7 years. It's a long and prosperous career, longer than most celebrities survive in an industry where new celebrities pop out from the woodwork on a monthly basis. But the pair's dedication to their craft, their professionalism, and their hard work have given them a fan base that has remained loyal to both actors, as an on-screen couple, and as individuals.

"I never wanted to be an actor. It just happened," says John Lloyd. "I didn't realized I was acting. For me, at the time, it was just work. Later on na, after Tabing Ilog, did I love it, and it became my passion."

Bea perks up and flashes a winning smile, "I knew when I was little that I wanted to be an actress. I want to be able to explore life, playing different roles," she said. Bea manages to bring out reserves of energy for the interview and answers quickly.

MAKING THINGS CLEAR

So while a new movie is underway, one which they are very careful not to say much about, John Lloyd and Bea also share big endorsing duties for Clear Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. "They have managed to pervade the lives of Filipinos in a personal way," shares Jacqueline Yuengtian, Unilever's assistant brand manager on why they shose the tandem as perfect ambassadors for Clear. "They have proven their capacity to evolve their images and keep getting better in their craft, so we feel that they are the perfect embodiment of the vision of Clear as we try to expand the anti-dandruff solutions for Filipinos."

Both young actors are known for their honesty, their determination to always be at their best, and how they choose to endorse only things they believe in. Bea shares, "Bago ako mag-endorse ng isang brand, kailangan ko muna siya i-try. I wouldn't endorse a product na alam ko naman na I'm just folling you or just for the money lang talaga," Clear marks their first time either actors endorse a personal care product.

Both actors have been using Clear ever since. "We were delightfully surprised to discover that JL was already using Clear Men even before we spoke to him on endorsing, while Bea has been an avid fan of Clear Complete Soft Care since she tried it!" Yuengtian said.

CRYSTAL CLEAR

While most celebrities crash and burn when their personal lives are revealed, and hinder potential success with their on-screen partners, Bea and John Lloyd have managed not only to thrive together as a couple on film and television but they have managed to secure a private life that does not affect their career or is invaded by the hungry press and fans who want to know everything about their idols.

"I feel so happy and we're lucky that we have those kinds of fans," Bea shares, acknowledging the unwavering support of those who have ketp the love team strong. She continues with, "Sobrang proper timing that the fans are so smart and broad-minded that they know that we are artistas, but we have our personal lives," John Lloyd is also grateful to the fans. "I think the projects that we get also help. Our love team is material driven. Bea adn I are so blessed that we get good projects," he says.

It's an unspoken agreement that the two have made with the press and their fans. They will give as much as they can but what they chose to keep to themselves should not be made public. This mutual respect has given the two celebrities much--careers that are going strong, personal lives that are not taken out of context and respectable public images.

CLEARLY A NEW CHALLENGE

Bea and John Lloyd have also taken a stand towards their own personal care; constantly doing everything they can to become better at what they do.

"I am my own critic. Alam ko kung ano yung flaws ko," John Lloyd admits. He says he reads books on acting and he likes to study his craft. John Lloyd keeps fit by playing badminton and follows a South Beach diet when needed. He admits to not being very attentive to the needs of his hair. He admits, "Frankly and honestly, I don't really do much with taking care of my hair. I'm a guy, what can I do?" After all, Clear is all he needs to handle the needs of his scalp. He adds, "I think Clear is an ultimate blessing to men. Clear Men completes everything a man's scalp needs to have that perfect-looking, dandruff-free hair." Bea is also on the South Beach diet and goes to the gym. Many have noticed how much weight she's lost and she quickly remarks,"Sa tingin ko, sa industry na pinasok ko, you have to use your body. It's a tool," She also admits that "That's one reason why I decided to lose weight. I wanted to take this industry and my work seriously," On her free time, Bea likes to pamper herself. She laughs as she admits, "Maarte ako, I like going to salons. I like to pamper myself." Bea remains confident that her locks are still gorgeous since she's using Clear, even on those days when she is too busy with shoots for trips to salons.

CLEAR-CUT GOALS

With an impressive list of successful projects together, John Lloyd and Bea are prepared to make rather drastic shifts in their lives, "It would be fun to do a character na mahirap intindihan ng audience ko," John Lloyd says with a smile. "I've been in the industry for years and all my characters have been safe."

He mentions that he'd like to try to play a gay character, to do something different from people's expectations. Bea, on the other hand, would love to be in a musical. "I love singing. I love to dance. And I love to act. That's why I want to do a musical but there's no market for that, so the other roles I'm interested in would be to do a serial killer role or The Virgin Mary."

But no matter what drastic shifts these two young veterans in the crazy world of show business decide to take, their honesty to and their respect to their fans, the hard work and dedication they put in their endeavors, and their own personal care will ensure that people will always look up to them, hoping for their continued success and growth. Clearly, John Lloyd and Bea have kept things real, which has made them big stars.