Sunday, May 27, 2007

Falling for Bea & John Lloyd



Woman's Journal, February 2004

Great chemistry. Complimentary good looks. Today’s hottest loveteam in showbiz, Bea Alonzo and John Lloyd Cruz leaves their fans breathless as they give life to a romantic ideal simply by being together.

They were first seen as a couple of young lawyers in the ABS-CBN 2 soap opera Kay Tagl Kang Hinintay. The fact that Bea and John Lloyd were filling supportive roles did not detract from their star power. Projecting great chemistry as a twosome further turned up the wattage even as John was publicly known to be romancing young actress Ciara Sotto.

It is surprised no one, then. When they eventually starred in their own soap. And predictably. It Might Be You hit an all-time high in the TV ratings game. Televiewers see in Bea and John Lloyd the same age-old appeal of successful love teams the likes of Guy and Pip, Robin Padilla and Vina Morales, Jericho Rosales and Kristine Hermosa.

In local teen parlance, it’s called kilig factor. Whatever it is, it is what revs up their motors. Read on and bask in the feeling of romance with Bea and John Lloyd.”

Bea Be Good

This enthereally lovely 16-year old actress has definitely gone a long way since she first popped up in Tinseltown two years ago. From minar roles and guest appearances in TV programs, she’s become the next promising act to watch. Televiewers first saw her in Kaytagal, convincingly essaying the role of a mature lawyer. It was inevitable that she would soon cull her huge share of fans. Now, Bea can be seen regularly on the variety show ASAP Mania and playing her very first starring role in It Might Be You. Indeed behind the sweet façade is a girl who is eyeing the Big Time – and making sure she gets there, too.

1. What is about you that not many people know about? I’ve always been the quiet type, except when I’m around friends kasi may pagkamakulit ako when I’m with them.

2 How do you feel about the success of your love team with John Lloyd? I’m so happy kasi I wasn’t expecting it to work. Sobra yung blessings na nabigay sa amin.

3 What do you like to do on your spare time? I’ve started playing badminton with my brother and my cousins. When I’m not doing that, I’m at my computer surfing the net for articles on currents events.

4 How would you describe yourself as an actress? Hardworking and determined to achieve my goals.

5 How similar are you to your character Cielo in It Might Be You? In a way makulit din ako. And siguro yung closeness that she has with her family.

6 Do you have beauty/diet regimen? Does starving qualify as a diet regimen? Hindi, joke lang. As for my beauty regimen, wala naman. I just make it a point to remove my makeup on every break in my tapings. Minsan. I put ice on my face para lang ma-relax.

7 What type of music do you go for? R&B and love songs, especially the acoustic type.

8 Who were your crushes when you were a kid? Classmate ko sa grade school! May tuksuhan pa nga eh.

9 Who’s your biggest international celebrity crush now? Tom Cruise

10 How do you know if you really like someone? When he’s always on my mind. And when magtatampo ako pag hindi niya ako i-text palagi.

11 What should a man have in order to sweep you off your feet? I don’t really look at a man’s physical attributes. I’d like someone who’s responsible, and who will love me for who I am and love my family as well. He has to be sweet. At saka gusto ko yung lagi akong ite-text, kasi that’s how I’ll feel that I’m special.

12 At what age do you think you’ll marry? Hindi ako nagse-set ng age. I’ll marry when I’m responsible enough to have a family of my own, and if I realize that he’s a right guy.

13 What do you like best about John Lloyd? Walang pretensions. And he’s responsible, especially when it comes to his obligations for his family. He’s also very professional.

14 How do you deal with the bad stuff in showbiz? I try not to mind the intrigues. In fact, I take all bad comments as a challenge. When I entered showbiz, alam ko naman what I was getting into.

15 Do you see yourself staying long in the showbiz?I hope, pero I don’t see myself sa show business forever na. Gusto ko rin mag-explore ng ibang field. I’m only 16, I still want to do other things para I don’t get stuck and become bored by what I do.

The Truth About John Lloyd Cruz

Since he was first sighted by a talent scout at a mall seven years ago, John Lloyd’s life has taken a truly fortunate turn. But it wasn’t until he took on the dark role of vengeful Yuri in Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay that he would gain a strong recall among televiewers. Going tandem with Bea in this soap propelled the young couple straight to stardom, and there has been no looking back since. Although he obviously loves his work, a closer look at the 20-year old John Lloyd reveals a simple man who’s real stickler for dishing out the truth. That, for sure, is one un-showbiz trait that makes him stand out among his contemporaries.

1 What is it about you that that not many people know about? When you read in the newspapers and see on TV, halus ganun na ako. Sinasabi ng iba masyado akong seryoso pero that’s the only other side of me na nakikita nila. I could be lighthearted naman eh, especially when I’m enjoying time with my friends.

2 Who was your biggest crush when you are a kid? Kaye Abad, in the defunct Ang TV. Hindi pa ako artista at that time.

3 Who’s your biggest international celebrity crush now? Keira Knightly, the actress in Pirates of the Carribean. And Jennifer Connelly, sobrang wow.

4 How do you feel about the success of your loveteam with Bea? I would define it as a “mysterious success”. Kasi the trend in the Philippines is that when you’re part of a love team, dapat sweet kayo, dapat kayo talaga, or at least nililigawan mo yung girl. But with this team-up, hindi namin kinailangan yon. No pretensions. Kaya rin siguro nag-click, kasi hindi manufactured.
Yung blessing ng chemistry, that’s important in a love team. Lagi ko nga sinasabi, chemistry is not something that you can create. It’s something that naturally comes out.

5 So what’s the score between you and Bea? Are you just friends? It’s hard to define eh. You can say that she’s my friend pero ganun lang ba yon?

6 Can you see yourself doing comedy? Off-cam, yes. Sabi nila pwede daw. Kaya lang I lose my beat when I’m in front of the camera. Ang comedy pa naman is 50 percent timing.

7 How similar are you to your character in Lawrence in It Might Be You? Actually, at this point, Lawrence’s personality is not yet fully defined. Magulo pa siya. But the rebellious attitude that he is showing now, medyo malayo ako dun.

8 What do you consider your best physical asset? I don’tpknow (laughs). Kung manggagaling sa akin, mahirap magsalita. But some people say that girls get attracted to me kasi may pagka-shy type daw ako – yung sheepish ba.

9 What’s the most outrageous thing you’ve done to attract to someone’s attention? Hindi ako ganun eh. If I see someone I like,I would just sit in a place where I can better watch her.

10 How do you know when you really like someone? Kapag gusto ko siya, lagi kong kausap or ka-text. You can’t deny it when you start wanting to feel her prescence, to read her text messages, and to hear her voice.

11 What’s your method of wooing a girl? I like sending gifts and flowers. Ang sarap ng feeling when I see her using what I give, because it means na-appreciate niya yung binigay ko.

12 What do you like to do on your spare time? I love watching movies. My favorite place is Podium. Kung walang magandang movies, I’m with my friends and my cousin. We go window shopping in malls or hang out at a friend’s house.

13 What is the one dish you would ask for at the drop of a hat? Isa lang? Favorite meal ko kasi breakfast, especially the native Pinoy breakfast – sinangag, tuyo at saka scrambled egg with mustasa, tomatoes and onions. Masarap yun.

14 When you’re blue, what type of music gives you a lift? When I’m sad, I’m sad eh. I dwell on that sadness. Walang magagawa sa akin yung, “Let’s go out, huwag ka magmukmok dyan.” That won’t work, definitely. I want to stay quiet, I want to be alone, and I want to think. Although sabi nila it’s not healthy, brooding can cause illness. Ewan ko, ganun ako eh. So naturally pag dating sa music, medyo puno ng angst yung mga pinakinggan ko.

15 What do you love/hate about being a celebrity? Like any normal person, sometimes you’ll love and appreciate attention. But sometimes, darating ka din sa point na you’ll hate it. Kasi you also need your quiet moments. Kaya gusto ko mabura sa isip ng tao yung thinking na pag artista ka, you have to appear like you’re happy all the time when, deep inside, hindi naman talaga. Niloloko mo yung sarili mo at ang ibang tao.

16 What is it you like best about Bea? Ever since we starred in Kay Tagal, nakita ko na sa kanya yung determination. Talagang kahit hirap na yan, hindi siya sumusuko. And she’s very eager to learn, she’s very hardworking. For a girl her age, that’s pretty nice.

Romance According to Bea and John Lloyd

1 Where will you be on Valentine’s Day? And who will be with you?

B: I’ll be with my family. Siguro we’ll have dinner out lang. Besides, I don’t think my mom will allow me to go on a date on Valentine’s day.

J: I’ll be with my single friends.

2 If money were no object, what would give your loved one’s on Valentine’s Day?

B: Gusto ko simple lang, yung parang more on the thought. So, I’d probably give my lola a plant, kasi she loves taking care of plants.

J: May special someone ba? Wala eh. I’d give my love kasi hindi ako materialistic.

3 If you could fly to another place for Valentine’s Day, where will you be – and why?

B: I’d want to go to the beach, siguro Boracay. Gusto ko yung peace na nahahanap sa beach, yung parang when you’re with you’re loved one, the only thing you’ll hear is the sound of the waves. Sobrang peaceful, I’d also want us to watch the sunset together.

J: Gusto ko marating yung Amampulo in Palawan. Ang ganda eh. Saka ang feeling ko it’s well-preserved. It’s nice to talk kung may kasama ako. Malayo siya sa Manila at sa lahat ng gulo.

4 What song makes you feel romantic?

B: “Because of You,” “Before I Let You Go” ng Freestyle, and “When I Kiss Your Mouth”.

J: Siguro yung kanta nila Lea Salonga sa Broadway show na ginawa dito. I can’t remember the title.

5 What’s your favorite all-time romance flick?

B: Notting Hill

J: It may be corny to you, but it’s Notting Hill. Ilang beses ko na yun napanuod.

6 Do you believe you have a soul mate waiting for you somewhere?

B: I believe in destiny, that every person is fated to meet someone who’s meant for her/him. I know there’s someone out there waiting for me, whom I’ll truly love and who will love me in return.

J: Naniniwala akong merong somebody na para sa ‘yo talaga. I also believe na pag dumating yon, hindi mo alam. Siya yung tipo na mahaba ang pinagdaanan n’yo para malaman mo na siya talaga para sa iyo. Hindi yung masyadong serendipity.

7 How do you know it’s love?

B: When you always think about him, and when you’re prepared to sacrifice everything for that person.

J: It’s love when…yung tipong wala ka nang pakialam sa lahat. Ready ka to give up anything and everything para dun sa love n’yo.

8 How would you know it’s over?

B: Siguro pag hindi mo na siya maintindihan, that means that you don’t love him anymore.

J: When you stop fighting for it. That’s a big sign that it’s over.

9 What’s the most romantic thing a girl/boy has ever done for you?

B: Meron na ba? Siguro when this guy gave me a rose in front of everyone. Secret kung sino. Pero I think it would have been romantic kung binigay niya sa akin in private.

J: Wala pa, although I wish someone would give me flowers. I find that romantic sa babae.

10 What’s the silliest thing you’ll ever do for love?

B: I’d give up everything. Siguro when I love someone, I would love him more than I love myself, which is probably wrong.

J: I’ll just give a scenario: I’m with a girl and we’re walking down the street of London. Di ba sa London maraming flowers na binebenta sa parang bangketa? Then I realize I only have Philippine pesos in my wallet. So just to please the girl, kaya ko magnakaw ng flowers. Kahit mahuli ako at makulong sa London.

Bea and John Lloyd Talk About Each Other

1 Describe Bea/John Lloyd in one word.

B: Mysterious.

J: Beautiful.

2 What’s the physical feature you find most attractive in Bea/John Lloyd? The personality trait?

B: Eyes. As for personality…hindi ko pa masyado kilala si John Lloyd! Serious kasi siya, at secretive. Sobrang extreme ang mood swings niya. It’s either sobrang seryoso or sobrang kulit. Wala siya dun sa middle.

J: Her eyes. Her eagerness to learn.

3 What’s the funniest thing Bea/John Lloyd has ever done since you become friends?

B: He always teases me about my weight! Nakakatawa kasi I have to sit on his lap during one taping for Kay Tagal. Then, pagkatapos ng sequence, kunwari hindi na siya makatayo.

J: She does this thing pag may eksena kami. Kasi when are faces are too close, duling siya, tapos she makes a face. Drama pa naman yung scene so nakakatawa.

4 What makes Bea/John Lloyd happy?

B: One thing siguro na nagpapasaya kay John Lloyd is when people stopped meddling with his private life.

J: Cell phone. Yun lang ang buhay niya eh. Dalawa nga ang cellphone nyan eh.

5 What makes Bea/John Lloyd sad?

B: Pag may nanghihimasok sa buhay niya.

J: Pag walang signal.

6 What is your fondest hope for each other?

B: Sana magtagal pa yung love team, and sana more projects.

J: I wish her true happiness, the kind that people have when they realize their true purpose in life.

7 Choose a song that would describe your friendship right now?

B: “Don’t Know Why” by Norah Jones.

J: This song my Sarah Mclachlan, “Building a Mystery”.

8 If you (Bea/John Lloyd) could star in a remake of a Hollywood romance flick, what would it be?

B: The movie of all-time kasi for me is Notting Hill. I also like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

J: Wala akong maisip, sorry.

9 What is you Valentine message for each other?

B: Sana maging happy siya, because I think he deserves happiness.

J: If she wants to date somebody else, it’s okay (laughs). Feel free!