Friday, September 14, 2007

Lloyd, Actually

Mega, September 2007 Issue

by: Michelle Ancheta
Get to know John Lloyd's crazy side as he dishes about love, fame and what he really thinks is sexy.
While most men give rings as proof of their commitment, others have to recover their past, inherit vast amounts of wealth and survive a coma just to say, "I love you". That is, if you're John Lloyd Cruz. In the hit TV series, Maging Sino Ka Man, John Lloyd plays the character Eli, a young man who goes through insurmountable hardships for the sake of his one true love, Jackie (Bea Alonzo). But while the series ended with the couple "living happily ever-after," the appearance of the ominous dark character (Rosanna Roces) seems to suggest otherwise.
In reality however, John Lloyd's life couldn't be more perfect. Being in the industry for almost a decade, he has mastered the tricks of the trade that has earned him the respect and recognition reserved only for the creme de la creme of actors. With a fan base ranging from pubescent teenagers to working women, to retired mothers and even (gasp!) my 90-year-old lola, there's no denying that John Lloyd exudes a charm like no other. Luckily, meg was able to take in some of his charm in this exclusive interview--which inevitably began with the question...
What do you look for in a girl? Character, mystery, interest.
What do you first notice when you see a girl? Hindi talaga ako yung guy na nano-notice first yung physical [appearance]. Pero I don't know, skin tone? Mas unique, mas okay. Medyo on the extremes eh, either kulay ng Brazilian or a little bit on the whiter side, like mga Julianne Moore. I don't know, there's something about freckles na I find very sexy.
How do you know when you really like a girl? If I like a girl hindi ko siya kayang lapitan.
But then how do you get a girlfriend? Pa'no nga ba? (Pauses to think) Hindi ko rin alam eh! (Laughs)
Everyone knows you're very busy, but you still manage to maintain a relationship. How do you do it? I strongly believe sa sense of individuality, especially for [teens]; you should respect your being an individual and aslo dun sa boyfriend mo. Para hindi rin ma-suffocate yung growth. You're still trying to establish your personality and it's a long journey bago mo talaga ma-establish yung sarili mo. Take it easy.
How about you? Do you think you've established who you are? Lahat naman ng nagbibigay ng advice hindi naman nila nagawa e (laughs). Pero that's what I learned, so yun ang masasabi ko. Kung gusto nilang sundin pwede, pero kung ayaw nila and they want to learn the hard way it's up to them.
Now that you're older, have yo discovered anything new about yourself? Nadiscover ko na one can never be too mature for his age kasi parang ang dami mo pa ring hang-ups. Pero ang laki ng nadevelop sa akin and at 24, masasabi ko na kilala ko na yung sarili ko and I'm not trying to be someone I'm not.
Was there ever a time when you weren't comfortable with yourself? Before I reached my 20s medyo awkward, kasi you're trying to fit in. Actually now, may instances pa rin na nangyayari na ganun pero since alam mo na yung gusto mo at alam mo na kung sino ka, parang hindi worth it yung damage. 'Di kagaya nung younger years mo na mapapabarkada ka sa mga maling barkada. Akala mo back then ang cool-cool pero ngayon it's different, kasi alam ko na yung pupuntahan ko diyan.
You seem to be mature for your age. Was there ever a time when you did something crazy? I'm a crazy guy. Feeling ko 'pag pinakawalan ko talaga yung utak ko baka hindi ko ma-handle. Sa mga artista kase, when you try to live your life in a very celebrity-like way, hindi mo na namamalayan na parang you're losing yourself. Ako naman how I live my life, sobrang layo sa pagiging celebrity. What I'm saying is artista ako, pero ako pa rin yung magsasabi how I'm supposed to live my life.
If you weren't a celebrity, what do you think you'd be? I remember my first ambition was to be a soldier, tapos scientist, tapos (like a) typical guy, I wanted to be a pilot.
Is there a dream role you'd like to play? Wala talaga akong dream role. Pero my only thing with regard to [roles] is to be able to portray the most number of characters in this world kahit na yung mga unknown characters.
You've been in the industry for a long time. How do you keep your fans interested? Hindi ko talaga alam. Mind boggling talaga yung appreciation ng tao. Ako siguro, I try to live my life as an actor, to polish my craft kung paano ko gusto. Kasi sinasabi ng ibang mga artista na "Hangga't gusto ako ng tao, nandito ako." Actually baliktad e, hangga't gusto mong magtagal, it's in your hands, it's your call. Hindi [fans] yung magsasabi, andiyan lang naman sila para magbigay ng opinyon sa lahat, to judge you. Pero ikaw, it will depend on how you would want to be judged.
What's your mantra in life or the best advice you've ever received? I read it in an interview with Chris Cornell (of Soundgarden, then Audioslave), he said something like, "Even if you already have exactly the life that you want to have, you still have to change to survive."